Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Graduatation pushed back-2010!! ):

Well y'all it looks like my dream of graduating before i am 30 isn't going to happen! I am very dissappointed. I have been pushing myself very hard even taking 5 classes this semester because i was told i could get done by christmas 2009. I was so happy to have only one more year to go and then i could be a graduate with a four year degree. Well here is what happened and what is going on now. It might be hard to explain so i will give the condensed version.

When you start a degree you start off with a set # of classes and you get a sheet to follow with all the names of these classes and requirements and you stick with those classes until graduation even if requirements change for future students getting the same degree. Well i started my info when at Ivy Tech and i signed up for classes in spring 2007 for USI..we filled out the Business Administration sheet and me and my advisors have been following it ever since.

Unfortunately my advisor is an idiot and hasn't been checking my file for the past 1 1/2 YEARS!!! SO the requirements for the Busienss Administration degree changed in Fall 2007 and that is actually when i declared my Major(before i was undecided) so he should have given me the new form with all my new requirements(I never should have been going by the old sheet since i hadn't declared it my major yet)....but it never happened! Luckily i caught it this semester or i would have been taking a bunch of classes that wouldnt work.

My options after talking with about 10 different people and the Dean became either taking the new Business Administation degree with an emphasis on general business(YUCK more accounting and finance classes) or i would have to switch my degree to Management with an emphasis on Human Resources. I was happy with the second choice except that it now has more courses that i wouldnt have had to take and some of the classes are on the same nights and only offered in the Spring!! SO i am forced to go an extra semester now! So my new degree is actually a Management degree with an emphasis on Human Resource Management!

The good thing is i am not going to be so stressed out because i will only have to take 4 classes this spring..then 1-2 this summer(by choice)..then currently i have 10credit hours(fall 2009) and 6 credit hours(Spring 2010)..and 2 credits from gym that need to go somewhere in between!! This is much better than my current 15 hour schedule. I can breathe.

Also it will make it possible for me to try and get an internship starting this summer or spring that will have me working until graduation where i can start working full-time! I am excited...this will keep me home with the kids and Grant from having to go into daycare while so young. We prefer him being at least 2..but 3 would be ideal!! I hate the thought of him being raised by someone other than his parents! We will figure it out as it comes!

This was a glitch in our plan and was very upsetting at first but when i look at the overall scheme of things...it was meant to be and will actually be better for our family(minus the fact that we still wont have any extra money)!! I am just praying my plan works out the way we have it and life doesn't throw us any more curve balls!

No comments: